San Diego Home Maintenance: As we ease our way into the last part of the year, Resident Expert Gregg Cantor has compiled a list of fall home improvement projects and routine maintenance items you should pay attention to this time of year.
Fall home Improvement Projects
1) Get a roof inspection. Before we get any rain, have your roof inspected to find any areas that need repair, or to make sure your home will be protected when the rain does come.
2) Have your furnace checked and change your HVAC filter. Filters need to be changed regularly, so it’s easy to tack that task on to every season. Have your furnace checked before it becomes cold enough that you need to use it. A quick inspection can ensure your furnace is safe to use.
3) Have your ducts cleaned. This is a good idea especially if you have used your AC heavily during the summer.
4) Clean rain gutters and downspouts. Make sure the path is clear so the gutters can properly divert future rains. If you don’t have rain gutters, now is a great time to have them installed.
5) Get a fireplace inspection and cleaning. This is another safety inspection to ensure your fireplace is working properly.
6) Check or replace weather stripping around doors and windows. The summer heat may have damaged weather stripping, which will create leaks in the seal of your home.
7) Trim back branches and bushes.
8) Clean area drains free of debris. It’s important to keep the desired path for water to flow free of obstruction.
9) Fertilize your lawn.
10) Think ahead about holiday entertaining. Now is the time to think about any enhancements or upgrades to make to your furnishings so you’ll be ready for the holiday season.